Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Some things remain certain


By S N Smith -- April 9, 2014

We live in an age of spin where truth appears as falsehood and falsehood appears as truth. Words are chosen very selectively and used to deceive, manipulate or persuade people to embrace a certain cause or belief system. It is little wonder that many people have become increasingly cynical, because they are being fed with a constant diet of spin from almost every sector of society, including politicians, the medical / pharmaceutical establishment and religious groups to name a few. Outright lies and distortions are propagated and solemn vows are made that what is being said is absolutely true, when in fact the opposite is where the truth is found. 

But despite all this, for me there are things which remain certain in my mind. It is not my goal to convince others regarding what I hold to be true. Rather, my desire here is to share the certainty that resides within my own heart and mind and which has remained unshakeable throughout the course of my life. 

Allah says in Surah al-Rum, chapter 30, verse 40 of the Quran, اللَّهُ الَّذِي خَلَقَكُمْ ثُمَّ رَزَقَكُمْ ثُمَّ يُمِيتُكُمْ ثُمَّ يُحْيِيكُمْ ۖ هَلْ مِن شُرَكَائِكُم مَّن يَفْعَلُ مِن ذَ‌ٰلِكُم مِّن شَيْءٍ ۚ سُبْحَانَهُ وَتَعَالَىٰ عَمَّا يُشْرِكُونَ -- "It is Allah Who has created you: further, He has provided for your sustenance; then He will cause you to die; and again He will give you life. Are there any of your (false) "Partners" who can do any single one of these things? Glory to Him! and high is He above the partners they attribute (to him)!" 

And in verse 60 of the same surah, Allah says, فَاصْبِرْ إِنَّ وَعْدَ اللَّهِ حَقٌّ ۖ وَلَا يَسْتَخِفَّنَّكَ الَّذِينَ لَا يُوقِنُونَ -- "So patiently persevere: for verily the promise of Allah is true: nor let those shake thy firmness, who have (themselves) no certainty of faith."

In these two verses I am reminded of the following:

1) Allah created me, which reminds me of my ultimate origin. 

2) Allah provides for me, which reminds me of the ultimate source of my sustenance. 

3) I will die, but not before Allah ordains it. Allah, and only Allah, knows when I will die. This reminds me of the ephemeral nature of my earthly existence. 

4) Allah will bring me back to life, which reminds me that when I die that is not the end of the story and that there is a life beyond this earthly existence. 

5) No one else possesses the ability to do this, which for me is an expression of tawheed and that Allah, and only Allah possess the power and ability to do all of the above. 

6) The promise of Allah is true, which reminds me that regardless of all of the spin I am subjected to on a daily basis, Allah will never deceive me and if I listen to what He has to say I will never be disappointed or disillusioned. 

Why would I want to trade that in for anything? 

S N Smith writes from Ottawa, ON